Friday 6 September 2013

Day 6 Kouchibouguac National Park NB

Today we travelled to Kouchibouguac National Park, known for its varied ecosystems including; salt marshes, tidal rivers, abandoned orchards and of course beaches.  http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nb/kouchibouguac/index.aspx  And, for my night sky fans.. this park is a dark sky preserve and known as "one of the most magical astronomy parks in North America". 

Me on the shores of the Kouchibouguac River

Fishing boat on Kouchibouguac River

This is a huge park - we drove 13 km from entrance to our campsite.  We chose an open field type site- which was perfect for me - I could run and chase my ball without any surprise squirrel encounters.  (My Mom did see a rabbit right behind our site.) The bike trails are beautiful. - not that I got to go along..but that's what I heard.


Rabbit on the bike trail


Cormorants lined up!
Later today we are going to see the sand bars and big beaches of the park. These beaches are where the endangered piping plover nests. Too bad for me - as dogs are strictly prohibited on these beaches -(Can you quess why??) I will have to wait in the motorhome. 

Today's route… 270 km from Carleton-sur-Mer to Kouchibouguac Park.





No comments:

Post a Comment